Friday, February 11, 2005

My Lady Catherine de Bourgh

I can't believe this. Haven't I had enough, haven't I taken enough of this? When will it end, when will this childish behavior, this idiotically stubborn woman cease to rant and rave like a lunatic? For those of you who are not yet enlightened as to whom I am referring, I am speaking of Mrs. Holland. Yes, that is right, my boy friend's mother. As feeble as that sounds, let me explain. Mrs. Holland feels rather strongly that her son shouldn't be dating while his older siblings are not dating. She believes that dating is the entirely wrong way to approach having relationships with the opposite sex. While I respect her beliefs, as does her son, I do not agree with them in thought or method. in fact, I have spent less time with her son while dating him than I ever did while we were friends. Over this past summer she wrote me a letter informing me that it was her wish for me to break it off with her son because he refused to break off relations with me. If this does not strike you as odd, the story continues. 3 months later I receive a telephone call from Mrs. Holland informing me that her son wishes nothing more to do with me, and that she's very sorry to have to inform me of this unfortunate news. Thinking this was very odd, I did nothing. Lo and behold I received a call from Michael that evening, him knowing nothing of what transpired (he was calling from work, and had not yet been home.) Needless to say, he was not amused. A month or so later she called my mother asking her to convince me that dating her son was immoral and unbiblical and going against "God's common sense." During this time she has been making her son completely and utterly miserable. Barely veiled threats, arguments, comments, jeers, and the like. You think this is the end? I'm sorry to inform you friend this is not the end, that there is one more such occurrence that I feel compelled to relate to you so that you might know the frustration that I feel. Now I cannot even send letters to Michael via his house. I have to send them to a mutual friend who delivers them to him every Saturday. Almost all forms of our communication have been interfered with. If she ever feels the need to discuss this with me personally, I fear I may end up being like Elizabeth Bennett when Lady Catherine de Bourgh comes to visit her demanding that she make promises never to become engaged to her nephew Mr. Darcy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home