Thursday, August 17, 2006

Orgasmic Syntax

While doing my research for my "Turn of the Scew" paper I cam across what looked like a very interesting essay entitled "The Problem of Evil in James' The Turn of the Screw." As I read I got more and more excited because this was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. And then the author went a little crazy. When I say a little crazy, I mean out of his mind, he's-lost-all-of-his-marbles sort of crazy. All of a sudden ghosts are phallic in nature and the governess (aka the narrator) is so sexually repressed she's seeing ghosts because she wants to have hot unrequitted sex with the devil. That's not even the best part:

"this is especially true in the final scene where the governess' forcing Miles to view the apparition of Quint is rendered in a language suffused with double entendres and energized by orgasmic, superhot syntax" - Robert Weisbuch, The Problem of Evil in James' Turn of the Screw"

I never realized that grammar and syntax could be orgasmic in nature, let alone superhot.

I've decided that Weisbuch must be so sexually repressed himself that he sees sex in grammar and syntax, which means he's so far gone that I can't trust a single word he's said. Ever.

Orgasmic syntax, like, whatever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home