Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Statistics (and other things)

So, I'm sitting in my statistics class (which is held in one of the computer labs) and listening to my professor who sort of looks like Santa Clause with his while bearded and hair talk about probability. Something about rolling a soft die on a hard surface and how the pattern of the probability will change because the corners are slowly being worn away. Which is sort of cool is you actually get to do the experiment, but we don't so it is significantly less cool. I think I like this section a lot better, but we haven't gotten to the actual formulas yet, so... who knows. We're already a fourth of the way through this and the midterm is at the end of this week *yikes!* and there are already a few of us studying together before class.

This weekend has been an interesting for me. I barely hung out with Michael this weekend - which isn't too bad because I did get to see him - on Friday, I went o my cousin Alex's graduation on Saturday, and then Sunday I hung out with Brian for a few hours. It was good to see him again, very interesting to see how he's changed, yet how he is still basically the same - even if we are more different than before he left for South America and I for SPU. We are pretty different people, but we are still good friends because of our shared experiences and because of our love for each other as friends and brother and sisters in Christ. Brian is one of the few people I would trust everything to, there is only one other person I trust that much. It's good to have people you trust that much, sometimes I wish there were more people that I trusted that much, especially someone of the female sex. Ugh, I've been reading too much Jane Austen.

Speaking of Austen, my first paper on Pride and Prejudice is due tomorrow (only 500 words)and I think I'm either going to write on the different types of masculinity portrayed in the novel, or the role of laughter in women, especially Elizabeth and Lydia Bennett. It might be hard to get it all in there, but I'm not too shabby at condensing. *sighs* I really like P&P, it's like comfort food for English majors; happy thought indeed. I'm sort of excited to read Jane Eyre *gasp!* after reading all the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde, especially "The Eyre Affair." I'm strange, I know, but it runs in my family.

"...The Special Operations Network was instigated to handle policing duties considered either too unusual or too specialized to be tackled by the regular force. There were thirty departments in all, started at the more mundane Neighborly Disputes (SO-30) and going onto Literary Detectives (SO-27) and Art Crimes (SO-24). Anything below SO-20 was restricted information, although it was common knowledge that the ChronoGuard was SO-12 and Antiterrorism SO-9. It is rumored that SO-1 was the department that polices the SpecOps themselves. Quite what the others do is anyone's guess. What IS known is that the individual operatives themselves are mostly military or ex-police and slightly unbalanced. 'If you want to be a SpecOps, 'the saying goes, 'act kind of weird.'" The Eyre Affair

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home