Thursday, July 06, 2006

"I love you more then you'll ever know"

I've decided that the saying "Love is blind" couldn't be more erroneous. If love is blind, then it is not love at all, it is something less, something that has been warped and disfigured. Love is all seeing and all knowing. What makes it true love (love that is true, not prince charming true love) is when the all the faults and imperfections are laid bare and in despite of it all, love is still present. Love does not delight in darkness, but rejoices in the truth. True love only happens when loves sees all the cracks and fissures and loves in spite of them, loves because of the cracks and fissures. Love is something that is often looked at cynically or sneeringly in our culture. Unlike the euphemism suggests, sex is not love; you cannot make love. You can decide to begin loving someone, but you cannot create it. Love is supposed to be the greatest thing in our lives; it is what is supposed to guide our actions and our thoughts. How often does that actually happen? How does this love manifest itself in our lives? Do I tell someone when they are wrong? Is it loving to go to someone and point out their mistake? I doubt that they would see it as love, but if I don't say anything do I really love them? Is there any difference between doing the right thing and doing something out of love? I always have found it odd that it is Paul who writes the most about love in the Bible, yet it is he who writes about it the most eloquently.

"If I speak with the tongues of men and angles, but do not have love, I have become a nosy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophesy and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing. Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, it does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hope all things, endures all thing. Love never fails. But now faith, hope love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love." - 1 Corinthians 13

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home