Monday, November 07, 2005

To the Ends of the Earth

I just got back from spending a weekend up in Canada (no, not partying/drinking) at a DRIME retreat learning a bunch of new dramas, one of which I have mixed feelings about, but I'll get to that later. This past month has been a little hectic. I found out that I'm going to have to take 19 credits a quarter if I want to graduate by the end of summer. Blah. But I think I can do it - I have to be able to do it. Stupid math labs. Grrrrrr.... I'm not real happy about it, but I just want to be done at this point. I really like it here at SPU, don't get me wrong. But every time I go home, every time I enter into Whatcom County I feel this overwhelming desire to stay, to never leave. It is so much more beautiful than anywhere else I've been. I honestly would be content to live the rest of my life in somewhere within Whatcom County. Seattle is beautiful, yes, but I love the peace, tranquility, serenity, and life that surrounds and emanates from that area. It is home.

So this weekend I went to Canada. Yepp. Canada. DRIME (Disciples Ready In Mobil Evangelism) trained - and retrained - us in three dramas. Please (Already knew), Stone (new to me, not to others) and Eve (new to everyone). Eve is the one drama I really have a dislike for. The drama centers around a girl, Eve, and the temptations that surround her. These temptations are portrayed through apples held by various characters playing different mechanical parts. The reason I dislike it so much is that it has no redemption story, and thus it fails as a street drama. Not only is there no redemption but it is extremely abstract and busy. It confuses the audience with too many movements, and not enough explanation. Oh yes, it looks very cool, but it has no practical street application. It is more of a dance than a message and for that reason alone I dislike it. The fact that there is no redemption aspect portrayed makes it a worthless dance in the context of street ministry. The group is divided when it comes to Eve. About half of the group feels much like I feel, a few feel strongly that it is a good drama, and I think the rest are somewhere in the middle. Honestly, as I looked around the group I saw more people there for the funness of the group than there because they believed in the message they were putting forth to the world. It makes me so sad to see a ministy die because people are more consumed with themselves and having fun than with the salvation and renewing of people's souls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home