Saturday, May 23, 2009

Anya

I spent the better part of last night watching season 6 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer with a friend and the more I watched the more I realized that as much as I wanted to be a "Buffy" type character I was really more of an Anya. Everyone wants to be Buffy - who wouldn't? She has gorgeous, mysterious, men all over her (Angel, Riley, Spike); has a group of good, loyal friends that would do anything for her (including going over to the dark side to bring her back from the dead), and she kicks serious butt - not to mention that she saves the world - a lot.

Anya on the other hand is an ex-demon who no one really likes, doesn't fit in, says awkward things that everyone is thinking but no one will say or talk about who just wants to be loved - but will never be as loved as the others. The preverbal ugly step child that never really blossoms into the beautiful disney princess that gets prince charming. I even have my own Xander Harris - the only difference is that I don't really want to become a vengeance demon, but even if I did (or could) it would be the same - even though Xander did her great wrong she couldn't get anyone to "I wish..."

No one really wants to be an Anya, but I guess someone has to...

2 Comments:

Blogger Uriel said...

I guess I would actually have to watch Buffy to get this one.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I would highly recommend Buffy to everyone - especially people who liked Joss' other work. I would start with season 6 and then go back to the beginning of the series. :) For someone who claims to be such a staunch atheist, Joss is quiet poetic about the beauty of Christ

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home