Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hope in Jesus Christ

I had a conversation with a co-worker today regarding optimism. She said something along the lines of “I don’t mean to be condescending, but you’re young, you haven’t been put through the wringer over and over again.”

After a few moments of thought I slowly said:

My optimism isn’t because I don’t know the horrors life can hold – because I do. It’s because I’ve been given this gift – this beautiful, precious, priceless gift. How can I not be in awe of it? How can I not be grateful and share the joy that I have with others? The pain may seem insurmountable, but there is always hope because without hope all would be lost.

She mostly just gapped at me but she did ask if I meant that my gift was life. I told her that in a sense it was, but my gift was eternal life, that I my life had been bought and paid for and had been set free.

It sounds cheesy now, but it’s true. Later she came back to me and asked if I was a Christian. When I said I was she smiled at me and told me that was the more eloquent bible thumping she had ever heard. I laughed and said that I wasn’t bible thumping since I didn’t use a single bible verse.

This isn’t something that I put on or take off, it is who I am. I am not any different than I was 30 minutes ago before she found out I was a Christian, nothing changes except perhaps the lens she sees me with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home