Tuesday, January 31, 2006

To minor, or not to minor - that is the question

Okay, you know all that talk about getting out of school as fast as I can? We'll... I'm sort of re-thinking that strategy. Here's the deal: there are all these classes that I really want to take because I want to take them. Not because they're my major classes or because they fulfill some sort of degree requirement, but because I want to take them. So I started looking at staying at SPU for one extra quarter so I could take a full quarter of whatever I want. The more and more I look at it I want to get a minor in theology. A majority of the classes that I want to take are taught by the theology department. The problem with that is that if I did peruse a minor in theology there are a few things that would chafe at me, like the urban ministry requirements. That's not why I want to get a minor in theology, I don't want to have to take 6 credits worth of urban ministry classes - not even actual ministry! But if I just took all the theology classes that interested me, then later on in life I would be upset with myself that I didn't get the minor. So this is my dilemma: Do I go for the minor in theology (it would consume all of my "because I want to take them" classes) or do I just take one or two theology classes and whatever else I feel like? I don't know! This requires a lot of thought, at least I have a quarter or so to think about it and talk to people about. I just feel really young, but old at the same time, you know? I feel so young because I'm a 19 year old college senior, and old because I've been going to college for four years. I'm mature for my age and for my level of knowledge, but I feel like I haven't experienced all that I could have at college.

There are all these things that I want to do, but I'm afraid that the path that I've set myself on won't allow me to deviate from it and do all these really cool and neat things, like living on the East Coast, living in Europe, traveling around the world. To live in place that has so much heritage and history, I want to live in Boston and go to all the museums, and see the sights, and work in a little Italian Restaurant. That sounds like so much fun! If I get married right out of college I probably can't do that - it would take so much to get Michael to move to the East Coast or to move to Europe with me for a year. I'm not sure he would want to do it. He has all these grand plans (so do I) about owning his own business, but he believes that he will start it right out of school. That's not really feasible, but say working for a machine shop on the East Coast and getting experience for a few years would be a great opportunity! (IMHO) I haven't gotten around to talk to him about this yet, so who knows, he might surprise me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home